Wednesday, June 16, 2010

This City Knows How to Rock

Per the sage advice of one Phil Lee, I will report on the musical tastes in Lima. While riding in taxis, 'working' at the GEA office, or putting my feet up after a long day at the rat race, I hear a lot of American music. There are radio stations that play exclusively American music, and they usually have a very intriguing playlist. It's as if you are listening to the top 40's from every single year from 1950-present all mixed up. For instance, the DJ will start things off smooth with a little Marvin Gaye getting it on, and then he will really work the crowd with a heavy dose of the Village People. Now churned into a veritable frenzy, the audience needs to take it down a notch and hears a little Chairman of the Board. The only way to follow Sinatra, of course, is with Madonna's 'Hung Up' and then the Beach Boys, then Peter Frampton, then the Beach Boys, then Aretha Franklin, then Elvis. James Brown singing 'Sex Machine?' Why not? Does Coldplay go with that? Probably. I bet the Kings of Leon would have loved to play with the Bee Gees. The good part of this musical schizophrenia (yes I looked it up) is that I know most of the songs so I can sing along much to the delight of my new Peruvian friends. If you happen to be in the area, 88.3 FM is a good place to start.

Currently playing: Godfather theme, with words.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how the music tastes in the clubs compares to the radio. My experiences in the US "latin" nights leads me to believe all latinos party to a mix of upbeat salsa and "futbol" music with the latinos singing every word. Lets get you into some clubs to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see Taylor involved with a blog again. At least two grammar and syntax errors in just that tiny comment. Powerful stuff.

    Do they play the Folgers theme song on Latin American Top 40? (Accidentally racist).

    ReplyDelete