Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Suprises Still Life

I unfairly stated that only one person is aware of my legendary love for before-and-after phrases. In fact, there are at least two, one of whom goes by the moniker "Blake 'Brawny McTiverton' Holland." I apologize for this egregious omission, and I also apologize for using another before-and-after title which doesn't really fit the content of the entry. Now it's time for some housekeeping.

First, I created a Flickr page where one can peruse some of the photos from the trip. The service limits me to 100mb of photos before I have to pay. I will reduce the size of some of the photos, but I am going to restrict the page to highlights only. I know that MY attention span can sometimes resemble that of an Irish Setter so I'll try to keep the photos as dynamic and shiny as possible. Oooh, I see a floating piece of lint! Sorry, got off track there. You can find the link on the right hand side of the page. Let me know if you have any trouble accessing the Flickr page or if you are disappointed with the content.

Second, and this doesn't technically fit under 'housekeeping,' I just heard 'Who Let the Dogs Out?' the 2000 smash hit from the Baha Men (they hail from the Bahamas if you are curious, which I am certain no one is). I'm really surprised that the song is still getting radio play, even here in Lima, since it is less of a song than a butt of jokes. Of course, that is no reason I can't sing along and razzle dazzle the other Casona guests with my encyclopedic knowledge of pop music. And believe you me, these weary travelers were certainly razzled and dazzled.

Third, and this also definitely does not fit under 'housekeeping,' I went out to lunch with two coworkers for lunch today to a really rustic restaurant in Barranco. We walked in and I was struck by how cave-like the place was. It was dark, very long and skinny, had whitewashed adobe walls with lots of ancient pots and pans hanging, and there was a cookfire with a couple chefs tending the dishes at the very back. The long wood tables were communal and very worn, but they afforded a great view of the kitchen. Well, they afforded a great view of the kitchen because the kitchen and dining area were truly the same area. I was expecting a very basic fare but was blown away when they served (we all ordered the menu, choices were rabbit and ravioli, and I wasn't feeling like dealing with bones today) the freshest tasting spinach and ricotta ravioli I've ever had. The pasta was gossamer thin and perfectly tender, and a bright spinach flavor came through wonderfully. OK enough food critic cliches. It was served with tomato sauce and a small steak on top. Everything was very fresh, entirely homemade, and surprisingly Italian from a very traditional Peruvian restaurant (according to my coworkers). If you're in the Barranco area I suggest we grab a bit at Cafe Tostado. The lunch also came with Chicha Morada, a popular sweet purple drink in Peru. It is made from purple corn and has some spices and sugar added. Most Peruvians rave about the stuff, but I think you probably have to grow up with it to truly appreciate it. I like it about as much as I liked Robert Downey Jr. doing cameos on Ally McBeal. I mean, you start with a great product and then use it in an unexpected way to achieve unoffensive, but ultimately uninspiring results. Am I the only who thought of that comparison? I highly doubt it.

Anyhow, it's getting late, and once again the entry has been driven entirely by tangents and asides. I should probably apologize to those of you who wanted concrete information about my trip. Alas, I used up all my Tuesday apologies.

2 comments:

  1. i believe it's pronounced purple drank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, how silly of me. Either way, I asked for the Sunny D.

    ReplyDelete