Monday, June 21, 2010

Culture Shock Value

Those who know me well are aware of my appreciation for Wheel of Fortune-esque 'before and after' phrases, hence the title of this entry. Actually, there is probably only one person who is aware of this guilty pleasure. No matter, we will move forward. I have only lived here one week but I have already begun to notice things that strike me as odd. Perhaps this dischord arises from cultural differences, perhaps I am sheltered. Regardless, I wanted to present some of the more curious sights and sounds I have encountered so far (in no particular order):

1. One of my coworkers, who recently celebrated the 27th year of her birth, is engaged. That in of itself is nothing out of the ordinary, and I gave her my sincerest congratulations on her upcoming matrimony. However, this whole situation became a bit stranger when she showed me a picture of her and her fiancée. He's a bit older, and by a bit older, I mean 35 years older. But that wasn't even the weirdest part. I can deal with a 62 year-old fiancée of a 27 year-old, but this guy was a dead ringer for a Peruvian Albert Einstein. I'm sure he is a great guy, but I would have a lot of trouble being married to the most famous theoretical physicist in history. Think of the pressure! I would be afraid of always being stuck in his shadow. Maybe she gets a kick out of living vicariously through Else Lowenthal. I don't know, I'm not trained to understand these things.

2. For lunch today, five coworkers and I went to a local favorite spot for lunch. They are known for their menu (a menu in Peru refers to a prix fixe lunch. Typically you get a soup or small appetizer, a main plate, and juice or some equivalent beverage. It is always a better deal than ordering a la carte, the downside being you have less selection), which, astoundingly, set me back just over $2. I had the chicken soup (generous, hearty, and fresh), the lentil stew with rice and some sauteed steak and onions, and a glass of pear juice (no free refills). The food was homey and satisfying, and while the price was strangely low, it was certainly not the most noteworthy element of this encounter. This 'restaurant' is run by a lady who began serving lunch in the dining room of her house. As it became more popular, she gradually began to serve more hungry patrons in more of the rooms of her house. I thought the place was quaint and cozy. It is, and that is because I was eating in this person's house. During lunch service the kids are not allowed out of their rooms (they are taking a lunch break from school) so they don't disturb the diners. I guess the 'menu de casa' really takes on a new meaning! Pun alert!

3. You can buy milk in bags.

4. I am a man who appreciates good condiments. Part of the reason I love Chicago style hot dogs is the abundance of condiments/toppings (poppy seed bun, all beef frank, pickle spear, nuclear green relish, sport peppers, tomatoes, mustard, celery salt). But for the life of me, I can't find Grey Poupon in the markets here. What is this? The Stone Age?! Just kidding, I don't know if there is Grey Poupon. There is a popular Liman sauce called Aji, and it is a delightful blend of garlic, a local pepper, and some secret Incan spices (the spices may or may not be Incan). It goes well on everything - tonight, it kicked up my turkey and Edam sandwich on wheat. There is nothing strange about this sauce. I guess I have only noticed three things our of the ordinary. Don't worry, I'll keep my eyes open and have more to report in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment