Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Reader Mail - Round Two

For those who need to brush up on their Peruvian history, today is the national independence day (from Spain. After Spain won the World Cup a number of Spanish folks living in Lima paraded around the city honking horns, waving flags, and celebrating their country's victory. I am no Peruvian, but to me that seems a bit culturally insensitive. I mean, the conquistadors dropped by and threw a wrench in the whole Peruvian operation. Granted, this was approximately 500 years ago, but if I were Peruvian I'd be turbo-pissed to see all these gloating Spaniards overrunning my city. I think the Peruvians are much more tolerant and forward-looking than me, because I would definitely roundhouse kick one of those smug Spaniards back to 1533. Seriously though, all the Spaniards I have met here have been really nice and not deserving of roundhouse kicks.), and I will be celebrating by:

a. Waking up, eating breakfast, and singing the "Star Spangled Banner" (I am not familiar with the Peruvian national anthem, but I hear they're more or less the same)
b. Writing a blog entry about how I am celebrating the 28th of July
c. Going to the gym to exercise very patriotically
d. Checking out a parade (sometimes in Lima I notice that being a foreigner means I am less informed about current events. This could be because my Spanish is not up to muster [I almost said "mustard," how ridiculous would that have been??], I don't have as strong of a network of friends as in the US, or because I am an ignorant, close-minded American who has failed to embrace local mores. Too strong? Well either way, I know there are many parades being held today, yet I couldn't tell you the route of a single one. I think I'll probably just head to the center of Lima and try my luck. Let's hope, for their sake, that I don't encounter any satisfied Spaniards because today is karate day at the gym.)

I guess that is all I have planned. It doesn't sound like much, but when I think about my celebration protocol for the 4th of July it's just as simple. Anyways, on with the mail!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Andreux(sic),

What's the deal all that fog down there? I mean, seriously?

Bruce
Lubbock, TX


Bruce,

Excellent question, and I'm glad someone finally touched on this topic. Lima has lots of fog. I thought San Francisco was a foggy town, but Lima takes the fog-quotient to a new level. During the winter every day begins foggy, and 3% of the days there will eventually be a partial break in the fog and some sun will shine through. The rest of the days it's fog all the time. I like fog and find it a nostalgic reminder of my youth growing up near San Francisco, but I have noticed that many of the tourists are disappointed with the weather. Sometimes I get tempted to remind them that "it's the middle of winter here, and there is no snow, freezing temperatures, or flying reindeer attacks, are you really in a position to complain?," but I hold my tongue and enjoy the climate on my own. My only gripe about the climate is the humidity. Just as Lima has lots of fog, it also has lots of humidity. I have experienced oppressive summer humidity, but winter humidity is a different animal and irritating in a much more subtle fashion. You don't go outside and immediately start sweating or feel drained of all energy. Rather, winter humidity makes it really easy to get a cold and prevents those clothes you have hang drying from truly drying in anything short of 4 days. Summer humidity takes the blunt, "whoopee cushion" approach whereas winter humidity takes the more insidious, "leave a fake rubber snake in your clothes hamper to be discovered the next time you do laundry" approach. Different techniques, equally unpleasant/embarrassing.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Andrew,

So I have to ask, is Lima really as hockey crazy as everyone tells me? I was always hesitant to visit because of the prevalent anti-Canadian sentiment there, but this hockey offseason is making me crave a vacation to a location that is both exotic and hockey-friendly. I think Lima might be just the ticket, but I wanted to get your thoughts first.

Cheryl
Thunder Bay, Ontario


Cheryl,

You are right on the money about Peruvians and their hockey! Lima was literally on pins and needles waiting for Ilya Kovalchuk to sign, and I can't walk into a bar/restaurant/wig shop without overhearing someone mentioning head shots, collective bargaining agreement, Gary Bettman, Winter Classic, or "the Lightning actually have a pretty solid team this year. Talk about a first line!" I am also happy to tell you that Peru has largely ironed out the lingering issues with Canada, and Canucks are welcomed here with open arms. Of course, you don't want to be seen sporting the maple leaf at 11pm in Callao, but it's not like I need to tell you that. Lima would be a great spot, but as I tell a lot of people you need to give it more than two days. Lima is very nuanced and complex, and appreciating the city is not as easy as seeing the main square and hitting a few historical sites. It is probably a better place for a resident than a tourist because getting to know and enjoy the place takes time. I am very happy with my decision to come here, though. If you happen to be in the area, let me know and we can talk shop about the Kings signing Ponikarovsky.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Yo Andrew,

How about those Peruvian babes?! Am I right?!

Robert
Stockton, CA


Robert,

Totally. You are right. But contrary to what everyone keeps telling me, I will not be coming with a Peruvian wife. I appreciate all the encouragement (seriously, the encouragement has got to stop, people. I'm here to work, eat, find a nice hairpiece, reflect on my life, and eat American household pets. Matrimony is not included in those goals.), but I will definitely be coming home without a missus. Doesn't mean I can't come back without a llama, though!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Great questions this week, folks. Keep them coming! I hope everyone has a relaxing and patriotic "Fiestas Patrias." And if you're Spanish, you best watch out. Just kidding, I like Spanish people. Also, there are new photos in the Flickr account.

2 comments:

  1. peruvian babes or maidens of the spear: who you got?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I'm saying is I got my fingers crossed for that marriage wreath!

    ReplyDelete