Sunday, July 11, 2010

Best Eyesight This Side of Breña

I took it pretty easy this weekend (if you call staying out at Sargento Pimiento until 5am rocking to licks from Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, and Chicago [I am utterly unable to explain the popularity of "If You Leave Me Now" in Lima. While eating dinner tonight the radio was playing the current 20 hottest songs in Peru, and they interjected to put on an "addictive throwback." So between doses of Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, The Black Eyed Peas, and Paramor, us lucky listeners were treated to arguably the biggest jam of 1976. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. Chicago was as stacked with talent as the 2010 Chicago Blackhawks, what with future superstar Peter Cetera melting faces on the bass. This is just one of those things I've noticed which strikes me as a bit odd.] "taking it easy.") and mostly watched soccer and relaxed. I'm not going to apologize for my abuse of parenthetical asides, but upon re-reading that last one even I got a little confused. I met a very friendly Australian/Kiwi couple traveling around the world together. They were actually in the Casona for a decent portion of the week, but I never sat down and talked to them. Reece and Jemma had noticed me as well. Reece told me that when they saw me walking in the Casona eating a carrot (the carrots here are very large, and I like to eat them as a convenient, portable, and nutrient-filled snack. I would advise caution when sampling Peruvian carrots, however. They are rather tough and fibrous so it is important to have strong mandibles for adequate mastication. Love to savor that English!) they knew I was "an easy going fella." I appreciate the compliment, but I am still not entirely clear what eating carrots suggests about my personality. Anyhow, we got to talking, and I learned that they had worked on an Australian winery for three months to save up their travel budget. Twelve hour days, six days a week sounded tough, but now this happy couple is free to go wherever they want and do whatever they want to do. If money doesn't buy you freedom, then what's the point? I'm not sure if my own trip will reveal universal truths or instill me with new values, but I definitely agree with that last statement. Unfortunately, they took a taxi back from a club on Thursday night and got into a bit of a fix (if you have seen "The Golden Compass" and/or "The Big Lebowski," you probably remember the cowboy character [Scoresby in "Compass" and the narrator in "Lebowski"] and his distinctive, western style of diction. I would LOVE to be able to pull that off.) The taxi drive took them way out of the way of their desired destination, and unfortunately they didn't know Lima particularly well. Next thing they know the taxi stops, three kids pull them out of the car, and take their money and valuables. They're okay now, just a little shaken up, but it's a really good reminder to me to be vigilant. Otherwise I would have to introduce the taxi driver to my deadly sense of humor. *Crickets*

Speaking of sense of humor, I was reading some hockey commentary and the author made a devilishly funny comment involving both hockey and "Star Trek: The Next Generation." I literally laughed out loud (LOL) and immediately wanted to share the levity with someone else. Then I thought for a moment. How many people do I know that enjoy both hockey and Star Trek? I have a few (operative word is "few") hockey friends and a few Star Trek fans, but it's just my luck that there is no overlap in that Venn diagram. It was a real gem, though. However, I will share a different funny moment from my week. But first, some background. In Lima, and presumably many other cities, there are young women who target touristy looking gringos in bars and clubs. They will flirt and show a lot of interest, but what they really want is free drinks, meals, shows, etc. and to live the good life for a night. I can't really think of an equivalent in the US. They are called "brincheras" and are typically on the younger/poorer side. I hope never to encounter a brinchera, but they are often the source of jokes in the GEA office banter. So Melissa and I are at a convenience store in Villa Maria del Triunfo buying some snacks for a meeting with the Buena Voz teachers. While we are purchasing these Teachers' Day goodies, the cashier asks us if we are married. I don't know what it is down here but people are always asking about your marital status. Well, Melissa informed the cashier that we are most definitely not married. I responded, in true Limeno fashion (I'm not sure if any Liman would ever say this, but I really wanted to show off my increasing Spanish vocabulary), that she is actually my brinchera. Hearty laughter consumed the store, and I beamed smugly with my dynamite word choice. Andrew: 1, Inadequate Personal Expression Due to Not Speaking Spanish for Eight Years and Then Deciding to Go Off the Deep End and Spend Six Months in Lima: 0.

By the way, there are more photos in the Flickr account.

6 comments:

  1. remember, we don't negotiate with terrorists. but we will barter with brincheras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you remembered the first two principles of Peruvian excursioning. May you always find water and shade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. does Villa Maria del Triunfo sells scooby snacks though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny answer, yes, but only out of a mystery solving van. Actual answer, no, but there are amazing caramel filled churros that cost $0.17 and are hands-down the most delicious churros I have ever eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I love Star Trek and hockey. Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fine, Blake.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Jersey-Fouls-The-utter-disgrace-of-Sharks-Blac?urn=nhl,254867

    It's the misspelled Ray Bourque jersey. See if you think it's funny. If so, I will apologize.

    ReplyDelete